Thursday, December 19, 2013

Advent Week 3
Hope For Those Who Are Watching
Thursday, December 19

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength;
they will fly up on wings like eagles;
they will run and not be tired;
theywill walk and not be weary. (Isaiah 40:31, CEB)
As Christmas approaches, my thoughts return to the Christmas 2006.  I had just completed my second term at the seminary andhad spent considerable time with my parents talking about our family heritage as part of one of my classes.  That Christmaswas good but things soon changed, with Dad spending nearly a month in two hospitals.  Then in January the diagnosis came and he only had a few months left.  I altered my schedule to take a class that Dr. Glenn Hinson was teaching in London where my parents lived.  Through that arrangement he met my parents and I saw them on a weekly basic.  Then on the Monday of Holy Week, I received a call about Dad.  I left Dr. Hinson a message that I would not be in the class that night.  Dr. Hinson showed up at my parent’s house not more than ten minutes after Dad passed away the next morningIn my time of sorrow there was joy in knowing to know that this man cared so much. We buried Dad on Good Friday, a day of sorrow for Christians. But we also know that Sunday is coming a day of hope and celebration.  Though we are wounded there is still hope, a hope brought by comforting friends and a hope found in God’s love as revealed by Jesus the Son and our messiah.

Don Herd  

No comments:

Post a Comment